Monday, October 22, 2012

Fathers, Sons And Sports

Over the weekend, my daughter and I went to a baby shower, leaving the "boys" home.  They went to my son's soccer game and after my son even took my husband out to lunch.  While I was gone, I received an email from my husband about the game.  I was really touched by how he wrote about our son and I thought I would share it with you.  I can assure you that this game bonded my husband and son in a really special way and as a mom, I'm almost glad I wasn't there, I am not a fan of watching my kid hurling himself at every one's cleat covered feet! 

J had a soccer game this morning.  He started the game in goal (he is the team's starting goalie) and played the entire match at this position.  The opening face off lead to a goal for J's team within the first 30 seconds.  From that point on, I believe his team may have had two or three more shots on goal the rest of the day.  our town lost, and J had seven goals scored against him.

In all my years of watching J play soccer, I have never seen a goalie try and carry a team on his back in such a way.  Never have I seen a goalie give up his body, time after time, shot after shot.  Getting knocked down, kicked in the hand and the arm, stopping shots with his body at point blank range, attacking opposing forwards head on as they came in on breakaway after breakaway.  Beaten and bloodied, but not a drop of surrender in him.  Having his arm iced up during half time, and then going back in net knowing it was a suicide mission.  I am not lying when I tell you he must of had 30 to 40 saves, the majority of these coming within his own goalie box or on breakaways. 


Never have I seen a goalie give up seven goals, and after the game the opposing team telling him "great game keeper', knowing that if it was not for him, they would of had scored even more,  The pictures I attached do not do justice to how much of his body he left on the field.










  

No comments: