Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Three Sons

The universe is a mysterious creature.

When I was growing up , I always thought that I would have 3 boys.  I don't know why I thought that, but I was convinced it would happen that way.

Obviously, that was not the plan, and I really have no problem with how things worked out. 

Then the other day I realized, that as things usually go for me, I end up getting what I need, but never in the way I envision it.

You see, I have been blessed with 3 godsons.

The first is 14, he's the son of one of my cousins.  He was born 10 days after I got married.  He was the youngest of my cousin and his wife's 3 children and their first boy.  I remember being completely shocked when they asked us.  We had just returned from our honeymoon and had rushed over to meet the newest member of this already awesome family.  I can still picture sitting on their couch , holding this little bundle when they asked my husband and I . 

I couldn't have imagined how great this kid would be.  He's such a sweetheart, even at 14.  When he and my own son were little, they called each other "godbrothers". So adorable.

What I also couldn't have imagined was the shock and sadness I would feel just a few years later when his mom passed away.  She had a brain tumor and though she fought with all her might, she passed away just shy of her 30th birthday.  I still think of her a lot, especially seeing her daughters grow up into beautiful young women.  I still get choked up every time I watch my godson blow out his birthday candles, wishing she was there to see it.

I hope as he gets older, I can still always be a part of his life.  We don't live near each other and life gets busy, but I think it helps that he and my son are close.  I still like to think of them as "godbrothers" even if they're too cool to say it.

My second godson is the son of my dear friend from high school. 

He's a year and a day younger than my daughter.  Even though we live an hour apart, his mom is fantastic about making plans for us to get together. 

I love hearing about this kid.  He does and says things that completely crack me up.  When we last visited them, he was pretty sure he wanted to play video games with my kids, even though his mom had said that this was a quick visit and there would be no video games.

He proceeded to ask my son, "How good are you at video games?" and "Oh, I bet you could probably beat me at this game." 

How can you not applaud the effort?  It was so cute. 

He also even went into his own candy stash and gave each of us a piece of his candy, all on his own.  That's love.

This past weekend, I was asked to be the Godmother to my newest nephew.  I can't wait.  He's adorable and lives close by!   I was so honored, I know I am his Aunt too, but I love that it's just a little something else we will share as the years go on.  Unknown to this little guy is that he is my only local nephew and godchild, so he should be prepared for some serious spoiling!


So, in the end, besides my own wonderful son, I was blessed with the 3 boys I always wanted.  Thanks Universe!

No comments: