Wednesday, April 4, 2012

If Loving You Is Wrong...

I love TV.

I really really love it.

I don't get much occasion to sit and watch hours of it, but catch me on a rainy weekend and I will get caught up in some 9-hour Teen Mom Marathon and I won't regret a second of it.

I'd like to think that I watch a good amount of what people would call "critically acclaimed" shows, enough to give me some credibility for having a good sense of humor and some intellect. "Mad Men", "Parks and Recreation" and "Downton Abbey" are all smart, intelligent and well crafted series, I appreciate all the hard work that goes into them.  However......

If you really want to know the truth  , I LOVE terrible TV.

There are shows I watch (or rather, record, since I can't seem to remember when anything is on, ever) that are just pure trash.  They offer nothing other than the chance for one hour to not have to worry about being a wife or mother, I just need to figure out if those crazy Manhattan elite are ever going to get their acts together, and would Chuck and Blair just work as a couple already?

There are shows I watch just to make me feel better about myself.  I'm talking to you "Dance Moms" and "Bridezillas".  I am amazed at how truly awful these people are, and though I probably shouldn't condone their behavior by watching, if I come across them in my channel flipping, I am hard-pressed to turn away.  Seriously, that Abby Lee Dance Company is the place where happy childhoods go to die.  I can't believe those people put up with her crap day after day. Psycho!

I love watching snippy people fix other people's lives.  Jeff Lewis, I love you.  Tabitha taking over things is pure gold.  I am someone who has a very hard time saying "no" and I love that these people have such confidence and just tell people what's what. 

My biggest guilty pleasure is any of the so called "Real" Housewives.  These people are so beyond "real" (and I'm not just talking about the plastic surgery) it's hilarious.  I take most reality TV with a grain of salt because it's hard to think that they just happened to capture you walking into a friend's house when there's already 7 cameras taking 7 different shots of you walking in, but it's so bad it's good.  I can't even really justify why I love it, it's just mindless and catty and almost like a modern day soap opera with bigger boobs and lots of drinking.

This may make it seem like I just sit around and watch TV all the time, but I really don't.  Luckily many of these shows are so bad, they don't require me to sit in front of the TV to get all the details.  I can be cleaning or organizing or getting other things done while they drone on in the background. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some terrible TV to watch.

1 comment:

Devon said...

oh boy did i love to watch dance moms and bridezillas. Bridezillas was a treat when i went over someones house with 'fancy' cable. and how could you forget MMABDCWU? australia is really lacking the the crappy tv department.