Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Jenny-ology

My dad has asked me to help him put together his genealogy.  I am really excited to get started.  Since his dad passed away a year ago, he's definitely been more interested in remembering about all his relatives. 

This weekend we spent some time with my Grandma, I love when she tells stories , I could listen to them all day.  She is my last living grandparent.  I adore her, she is so sweet and never wants to be a bother.  I really cherish any amount of time I get to spend with her.  I love that she knows my kids, I'm so blessed.

She told us a story this weekend about how when she and her sister, Lorrette were little , her dad gave Lorrette 5 pennies for the collection at church.  Lorrette didn't know what the pennies were for , so she went and bought herself an ice cream at a chinese restaurant, the best part of the story is that Grandma still got such a kick out of it.

Another story was about how an uncle came to visit and when he got up in the morning and picked up his pants, all his change fell out all over the floor.  He called my grandmother in and asked her to pick it up, and then he said she could keep it!  She said she had $1.12 and she was so rich!  She said she didn't spend it for a long time because she liked feeling rich.  


My Grandparents, Fall 2010,  at my cousin's wedding.  They were married 61 years.

My husband, the kids and I really like the show "Who Do You Think You Are?".  It's so fascinating to see where people come from and how they unravel little mysteries about their pasts. 

I won't delude myself into thinking that we'll find anything as exciting as these celebrities do.  After all , they have entire production crews investigating their family trees and finding the most interesting branches. 

I can't wait to see where this journey takes me, and I think it will be a great way to spend some quality time with my dad as well.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I love the stories my Nana tells us about being young and growing up. So much fun to listen to! I think it's great you are doing this with your dad--I bet he loves that you are interested too. Can't wait to hear if you are related to anyone famous!